Learn by Design elevates groundbreaking work in the design of physical learning environments and how it impacts pedagogy and learning outcomes.
The competition celebrates the collaboration of designers and educators in the pursuit of design-based solutions to challenges within education through the use of physical space.
From classrooms and libraries to museums, special exhibitions, and more, the physical environments where teaching and learning occur are transformative tools to elevate learning outcomes. The competition is dedicated to showcasing imaginative and impactful designs of education spaces.
Selected finalists will present their projects in the live pitch event before a panel of educators, designers, early adopters, as well as SXSW EDU attendees, March 9-12, 2020.
Additionally, finalists and attendees will have ample opportunities to connect through spotlights, socials, and other events during SXSW EDU.
Monday, July 1 – Application Opens
Friday, November 1 – Application Closes
- Learn by Design is open to designers, educators, architects, and creatives of all kinds, both nationally and internationally.
- Qualified project submissions include any physical space, installation, or facilitation of the use of a space that is helping solve challenges in education. This includes but is not limited to makerspaces, museums, libraries, community spaces, schools, exhibitions, and public art.
- At this time, only completed projects are eligible for submission. Conceptual projects will not be considered.
- Each applicant is only eligible to present in one of the SXSW family design events (SXSW Place by Design or SXSW EDU Learn by Design). In contrast, if you have applied for SXSW Place by Design and were not accepted to participate, you are able to apply to SXSW EDU Learn by Design.
Complete an Application
- Sign in or create an account in the SXSW cart, then select “SXSW EDU Learn by Design Competition” to begin the application process.
- Once you begin the application, you can save and continue your work as you go.
- Take some time to review your application, no changes can be made once it has been submitted.
- Please note that there is a $50 fee associated with the application, but you will not be asked to commit to purchasing until you have completed the application and are ready to submit.